FEATURED POST

Unveiling Singapore’s Death Penalty Discourse: A Critical Analysis of Public Opinion and Deterrent Claims

Image
While Singapore’s Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) maintains a firm stance on the effectiveness of the death penalty in managing drug trafficking in Singapore, the article presents evidence suggesting that the methodologies and interpretations of these studies might not be as substantial as portrayed.

After Death Row in Texas, I'm Fighting to End the Death Penalty

Texas Death House
Texas Death House
My name is Kerry Max Cook, but for 2 decades, I was known as "Cook, Execution number 600." Innocent of the murder and rape I was accused of in 1977, my home became a tiny death row cell in Texas, the state that kills more people than anywhere else in the U.S. by far -- including 141 of my fellow inmates before my release in 1999. By then, my only brother had been murdered and my Dad had died of cancer. My Mom died soon after. I was stabbed, raped and routinely abused on death row. My ordeal spanned 2 generations of the Smith County District Attorney's office, 2 wrongful convictions, 2 reversals of conviction, a walk to the execution chamber, and 3 capital murder trials. My legal team and I have been unable to find a worst case of prosecutorial misconduct in Texan history.

I avoided a 4th trial only by pleading no contest, while making no admission of guilt. I have never been officially exonerated. Author John Grisham said, "If it were fiction, no one would believe it ..."

I am, in fact, innocent. Another man's DNA was found on the victim's clothing 2 months after my release. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals accused Smith County prosecutors of "willful misconduct" in my case. Nonetheless that office remains determined to stop me clearing my name. My lawyers are working to file an application for writ of habeas corpus in coming months, hopefully prompting the appeals court in Austin to officially exonerate me and end my 36-year-old nightmare.


Source: Kerry Max Cook, Former inmate on death row in Texas; author and activist, Huffington Post, Feb. 22, 2014

Most Viewed (Last 7 Days)

California | San Quentin begins prison reform - but not for those on death row

Missouri Supreme Court declines to halt execution of man who killed couple in 2006

Oklahoma | Death row inmate Michael DeWayne Smith denied stay of execution

Indonesia | Bali Prosecutors Seeking Death on Appeal

China | Former gaming executive sentenced to death in poisoning of billionaire Netflix producer

Ohio dad could still face death penalty in massacre of 3 sons after judge tosses confession

Iran | Couple hanged in the Central Prison of Tabriz